Wednesday, June 2, 2010

14,000 feet & barely breathing

May 31, 2010—After 24 hours in airports and on planes we made it to our final destination-La Paz, Bolivia. Customs was only necessary to pay the money for our visas. They didn’t bother to check our yellow fever cards, bags, or passports. Once we made it through, Jayson and I were warmly greeted by Mauricio & Sandra Calvet and taken on a wild car ride to our new humble abode. Upon entering the house we were immediately rushed to our new room and told by Don Julio to “echese! echese!” (translation: Lay Down! Lay Down!). Next thing I knew he was taking our blood pressure (I guess this is a standard procedure, but since I didn’t understand a whole lot of what was being said in the first place I thought we were being prepared for some sort of surgery. Evidently, it was an initial check-up on how we were handling the altitude). We were fed mate tea & maraqueta for breakfast (a type of bread that supposedly can only be made in Bolivia because of the altitude and the recipe is a secret that cannot be shared…yes dad, I still continue to regularly ask people other than mom for recipes). Afterwards we enjoyed a siesta in our room which has two twin beds. As of now Jayson and I are trying to sleep in one twin bed (we will see if this lasts throughout the trip). The rest felt wonderful but I woke up to the most intense nausea and lightheadedness I have ever experienced. Naturally, breakfast didn’t stay in my stomach very long and I went back to bed white faced with my legs elevated. In the afternoon we went on a walk around the city with Sandra. La Paz is bustling with taxis, buses, and cars. There doesn’t seem to be much order to how they drive. I was almost hit by a taxi on three different occasions and I can assure you it wasn’t the result of my being a “prideful pedestrian”. I am not sure the walk could be technically considered a “walk” as most of my time was spent sitting because every 100 feet I would have to stop and catch my breath for five minutes. So much for thinking I was in shape at one point; altitude sickness quickly convinces you otherwise. Jayson (as to be expected) has handled the altitude with much greater ease. Everyone here keeps telling me the sickness will only last for “dos dias” or (two more days). I guess time will tell.







No comments:

Post a Comment